fruitcakes

The Rook

The Rook - Daniel O'Malley I WANT IT KNOWN THAT I STARTED THIS BOOK THINKING THAT THERE WERE TWO MORE BOOKS IN THIS SERIES AND I FELT DEEPLY AND PERSONALLY BETRAYED TO FIND OUT THAT I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL JANUARY FOR THE *NEXT* BOOK TO COME OUT.

Loved this book. Author totally made the epistolary infodumping work in a way I was totally not expecting it to. Look forward to seeing how he manages in the next book.

ALSO, was originally a little dubious about a male author handling a "woke up in a new body" type story because in my experience those can get a little prurient, but he totally stuck that landing in a way that worked for me.

Really enjoyed how the letters made original!Myfanwy a fleshed out character, to the point where I was actually saddened when she "died". Myfanwy 2.0 was a really excellent extension/reinvention of her, and while she was a distinct person of her own, could see the places and some of the reasons she was alike/not alike with the original. Sometimes wanted to shake Myfanwy 2.0 AND Myfanwy 1.0, but in a fond way.

Also really enjoyed that Myfanwy 1.0's info about the Checquy is so delightfully unreliable, in the sense that she's been indoctrinated and raised in this organization and it skews her opinions of the organization and its members.

Ascension: A Tangled Axon Novel